- Project « Behavioral patterns of the wandering mind »
During everyday tasks people’s attention is not always directed to the task at hand. Sometimes we get distracted or simply engage with inner thoughts, which is often referred to as mind wandering or daydreaming. Here we want to study differences in behavioral and psychophysiological measures between task-engaged and task-disengaged behavior.
- Project « Drawing as an encoding tool to enhance episodic memory of elderly people »
In the current project we investigate whether drawing can be used as encoding tool to enhance episodic memory performance of elderly people.
- Project « Preschool children’s learning from 3D virtual reality: Investigating the educational impact of the 21st century fairy tales »
Young children show a keen interest in fictional stories, and, simultaneously a tendency to quarantine information from fictional stories. Digitalization of educational materials cannot be avoided, but there is a lack of empirical evidence on how it affects learning and memory in children. We are interested in the use of new media and in their potential impact in promoting learning.
- Project «Using virtual reality to investigate access, fidelity, and vividness of visual mental representations»
When recalling an object that you have previously seen how do the different features location, orientation, and color integrate in memory? To understand the relations between individual features of visual mental representations it is essential to extend the existing research to a 3D virtual reality approach, which allows to represent space in a more natural way than 2D computer-based experiments.
- Project « Distance learning: Individual differences & distributed vs. massed learning »
It is well known that humans learn more effectively when the material is spread out over a period of time in different learning sessions (i.e. distributed learning) than when they learn the material in one long session (i.e. massed learning). Here we want to replicate and extend this finding to a mixed mode approach in a distance learning setting based on new technologies.
- Project « Learning through teaching: Educational applications of virtual reality »
Explaining information to someone else in learning situations can help with learning new material (learning through teaching method). Here, we want to link the use of virtual reality (VR) with the learning through teaching method.